I want to write and tell stories.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Oh Crap......


So, my little girl is growing up, she is 6 going on 27. When I make it home from work on time, we’ll read a book(mostly), sometimes play a game(it was teacher the other night, and boy is she tough, mind you I was the joker in the class, the dog and the horse next to me were real teachers pets). She is a girlie girl, Barbie, horses, pink, purple, my testosterone level drops, just walking into her room.

Anyway, last night, she wanted to play a computer game, no worries, she doesn’t play them all the time and she has a few of her own. So Dad’s told to sit on the sofa and watch her play Spirit, which she has not played in some time. She was a having a little trouble chasing the rabbit to get a carrot, so she can gallop faster. There’s always another carrot to get, isn’t there?

So, whilst she is wrestling the controls(Dad's help was not wanted) Dad is thinking about some stuff to do that night, whilst comfortably reclined on the sofa. Thoughts of sugarplums and beers dancing in my head.

Daughter: Oh craps…..

Dad: huh? Sweetie, did you learn that word at school?

Daughter: Which one?

Dad: Crap

Daughter: Yes…

Dad: Well sweetie we don’t use those words, they aren’t very nice.(I don’t swear in front of my children, which is hard sometimes being a father, having testicles which tend to get jumped on)

Daughter: Okay.

Did not want to go hard on her, as I had done something similar as a kid, when I had no idea of the meaning of the word. I said shit…..and soap does tend to taste like that.

A few minutes later.

Daughter: Oh craps…….

Dad: (more serious) Samara……what did I tell you?

Daughter: Sorry….

Dad: Don’t use it again, or the game is off straight away.

Daughter: Sorry Dad.

And she was good, and it was all I could do not to burst out laughing. She actually used the plural which made it funnier. She is a sweet girlie girl in her nightie carrying on like the proverbial fish wife.

Ahhh, what are the teenage years going to bring?

Cheers
Dave.

7 Comments:

At 2:14 am, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

My grandmother used to say that swearing was for cowards and people with limited vocabulary.

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger Grubber said...

Must say, I had heard the saying about limited vocab, but never heard the cowards concept.

 
At 5:15 pm, Blogger writergurl said...

LOL.

Reminds me of when I found my nephew, in the hall of Grandma & Granpa's house, frowing at his wind up car that he'd somehow managed to bang up so badly that the tire was off.

ME: Honey, are you Ok?
IAN: Yeah.
ME: What's wrong wtih your car?
IAN: I dunno, and it pisses me off!
ME: IAN MURRAY!
IAN: Wha?
ME: Ian, you shouldn't say things like that, say it makes you mad or sad but, don't use words like that!
IAN: But...
ME: No "buts" young man!
IAN: Ok... but, dat's what Daddy says when he can't fix HIS car!

I about died trying to keep from laughing at his sweet and earnest little expression.

The things kids pick up!

 
At 3:28 pm, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

My kids slip up and it's okay with me as long as it's within our house. I gotta say I throw out an expletive now and then so that's where they get it.

As long as they don't do it in school (fingers crossed) it's really not a big deal to me, and since I have that type of attitude, they very rarely use that language.

But when they do it's funny as shit.

Oops.

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger James said...

Awww! How sweet is this story!

Let's hope it doesn't get as bad as an about-seventeen-year-old I witnesed in a shop during the Christmas sales who said to her Mum, who incidentally was carrying all her bags full of new stuff, "Can you just give me one minute? No? Alright!? In fact, JUST F*CK OFF!!"

Now is it me, or is there something wrong with that?

Best of luck in the future, Dave!

J.

 
At 4:03 pm, Blogger Grubber said...

James, there is something wrong with that.....god, worst nightmare material, luckily we often get complimented on how well mannered Samara is. We are still waiting to find out about Ethan he not yet two, that is early next month. The jury is still open on him :)

Thanks for the best wishes for the future, I think I am going to need them! :)
cheers
Dave.

 
At 4:04 pm, Blogger Grubber said...

that should be "he is not two yet"..just my writing ability has dropped to two by the look of it! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter