I want to write and tell stories.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Aeon Flux Review....and a few more.

Got to see Aeon Flux last night. It was certainly worth every cent we paid to see it :). We had been planning a movie and dinner night for a few weeks, so the double pass I won was just a bonus.

I didn’t feel the movie was that bad, my wife actually enjoyed it. She does enjoy movies where there is a kick-ass female hero, so that was in her favour. It is the type however, that you won’t miss anything by waiting for the DVD.

It just seemed to me, that they were working through the good old 3 act structure, ticking things off as they went.

***SPOILER ALERT****


That scene near the beginning were she and a bloke swap a metal pill by kissing and playing dance of the tongue fairies actually made me grimace a bit. It looked like two flesh coloured, naked Jabba the Huts wrestling on screen.

I have not read the source material so I went into it with an open mind. I enjoyed the story, some of the dialogue was okay, at best. I never figured out Frances McDormand's character though.

I found it funny that you call the chairman and saviour of your world....Trevor......gday Trevor, got anymore of that life saving anti-virus stuff hanging around. It just seemed slightly odd. But again, that could come from the source material, and there could be a good reason for it. I realise it may have meant to portray all those leaders as close buddies, and familiar with each other, but it didn’t quite work for me.

Not the worse movie I have seen lately, Kingdom of Heaven wins that one hands down, I made it through about 20minutes on the DVD before more important tasks could be had, like writing my own script.

I finally got around to seeing Wedding Crashers as well the other day as well.. It was a lot of fun and I can see why people enjoyed it. The only part that I didn’t enjoy, and this is more of a personal issue is that I detest people who imitate, in any form, war hero’s or wear false decorations. Those guys and girls who earn them do so in often horrific situations, and to use that method is deplorable. It had the effect of making me have to get over that issue to enjoy the characters.

One thing I realised in the movie is Bradley Cooper, who I first saw in Alias, and recently he has been in Kitchen Confidential, made a great antagonist. I can see him when he is a bit older filling the role of some sort of mad evil criminal very well. Great eyes for evil. In saying that he did a great job in Alias and was totally convincing as the lovable goofball friend to Sydney.

I mentioned this on Richards site, Scriptweaver, Rachel McAdam’s could play Jennifer Garner’s sister. Very similar mouths and dimples. Could be a successful movie if you could team those two up!

Pity about Kitchen Confidential being axed, but I can see why. I had read the book and was looking forward to it, but caught one episode here recently and it just didn’t capture what I felt was the spirit of the book, the grittiness and craziness that is a busy kitchen.

That’s it.
Cheers
Dave.

3 Comments:

At 2:46 pm, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I agree 1000% on Kingdom of Boredom, what a snooze. What a waste of an amazing, fascinating subject!

 
At 11:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting in that the purple heart scene wasn't in the original script I read

 
At 10:49 am, Blogger Grubber said...

I agree Patrick, great subject, just poor execution unfortunately.

Is it just me or is Liam Nielson not getting better with age. I did not find him overly suitable in the Star Wars Prequels, or KOH either? Maybe it is just poor parts...not sure.

Didn't know that MQ, maybe there was some other ruse planned and to amp it up they decided to change it to the purple hearts. Development :)
cheers
Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter