I want to write and tell stories.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Why this blog?

Just wanted to clarify why I write this blog....it is really for me, I will put something up here if I found it and think someone else in my position might find it useful, funny, enjoyable, whatever, hence the links on the side. However, I wont often link to a pro's specific article, unless I want to discuss that particular subject, as I assume you have already read them.

However, I am here to learn, the reason I might not often link to other stories, etc is that if you are reading me first.......something is wrong. Read the pro's first and then when you are drunk, stoned or are having a mental block, then drop by. Yell wanker, and then keep on going.

I had a little stats counter thing there, but that was just for fun, (use doped up voice, even though it has been over 14 years since I last tried some) seeing the pretty coloured flags generate, but as soon as google ads started showing.....out of here.

My job is selling, I do it all day, (software to hotels and resorts, yes, it is a cool job, I even get to travel to them ;-) )I dont have anything to sell here, I don't even want little google ads where I might make some dollars if you click on the link, for me this is purely about writing. That is just me, anyone else doing it, no problem from me, I often click on them anyway if they look interesting, but I just want this site to be one thing. This is where I stay focused on writing the screenplays. Like a lot of you, ideas are easy, got a million, but I want to hang around with other aspiring sw's like myself, and it is easier to do it online. I really hope some of us can swap scripts like we have discussed. There seems to be a few of us around the 40 mark, so we all have similar interests and memories, from that era, so I feel comfortable.

I am constantly amazed at how agreeable, friendly, down to earth, and helpful the pro's are on their blogs and other places, forums, etc. I have said it before, but again, thank you for all assistance whether it be answering questions, articles, or general discussion, it is all invaluable, and up until a couple of years ago, impossible unless you lived in LA.

I cannot move to LA at present as I have a family, responsibilities, etc. so this is my way of absorbing the LA culture, and maybe meet some contacts. Who knows.

By having this blog it constantly reminds me to write. I wont post here unless I have written something, anything on one of my sp's.

Writing on here also keeps my fingers and brains working even if it is not on a sp, it also reminds and inspires me to get back to the important writing. I figure if I can get a laugh out of you guys, then I am doing something right. If Angelina Jolie drops by and falls in love with me, well then all the better, stuff any career, I am off to have some blood sucked.

I just thought I would let you know where I am at. Just hanging in cyber space, absorbing the greatness of wisdom that be the pro's and gaining inspiration and focus.

cheers
Dave.

6 Comments:

At 5:08 pm, Blogger Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Don't you just hate it when you see this sort of comment on a web site:

"If you want any chance at all of selling a script, then you HAVE to move to LA!"

I shudder at those and go and sulk for ten minutes. I hope they are a little behind the times and the web has opened the screenwriting world up a bit.

 
At 5:33 pm, Blogger Grubber said...

I can see what they mean Chris, especially for young ones, go over, get the assistant's job, network, hustle, etc. It certainly applies 100%. Bit like Lotto sortof, you have to be in it to win it.

We are just trying to order our tickets from OS! ;-)

To me, this means we have to be smarter, craftier, and hustle longer and harder probably.

Being an old fart actually helps in a way there, as you have learnt some tricks and can generally(not always) smell bs a mile away, and so wont waste time on some crap you might have got sucked into when younger.

E.g. I'm an agent, I will make you a star.......yeah right love, show us your client list......whereas when you were younger you might have bought it. ;-)

You are right about technology changing things, I am a big believer in that, not just for screenwriting. Just now, needed a site in Iran, near water, forest, not desert, for a Dr Evil type lair, hit google earth...5 minutes later I have my spot. Love this type of stuff. If I need more info about the town later on, hit google and find out what I need to know.

It be all good brother! ;-)

 
At 10:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, good to hang out with other SW's anyway we can be it in person or cyberwise.. I will make it to LA one day, but not until I have had the carpet extended

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Grubber said...

That's it MQ, and I think we have to unroll the carpet, tack it down and jump all over it. Well you know what I mean, but I do believe that distance does not necessarily HAVE to be a factor, if you are prepared to acknowledge it, and work hard to find ways around it. We (us guys in the cheap seats on the outer) have to somehow find out a way to do it smarter, faster, better, etc. sort of like a $6 million Bionic screenwriter. ;-) and get to the 50 yard line seats. (I think those are the good seats over there? Do correct me if wrong!)

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger Grubber said...

I agree Warren, it is easier if you are there absolutely, 100%. We just have to find a way around it.

Myself, I have found a guy online sometime ago who does know a well known actor in hollywood, older actor, but everyone does know him for one particular role. As luck has it, in the main screenplay I am working on, there is a major role that this older actor could fill very well. So yes, my idea, is to finish script, get script to actor through online friend, and see if he can attach and take to his agent, who will hopefully become my agent or recommend, etc.

We just have to try and do it differently.. 1000% harder, without a doubt, impossible..well lets see, I have to believe it is possible!;-)

Trust me, if I was single or no kids, would be there in a flash!

 
At 10:51 pm, Blogger Grubber said...

Don't worry Warren, if we discouraged that easy, our skin isnt thick enough in the first place. ;-)

And yes, once the planets align, and Classic Coke goes back on sale, and Britney Spears stays married for longer than her first diaper change, and I mysteriously make a sale, I will look at moving there. Have started to check out one possibility. In the profession I am currently in, there are positions with a competitor in LA. Might just have to check out how hard GB is making it for an Aussie to work there nowadays. I believe there are actually about 10400 visas per year available to us, if my memory serves me correctly.

I think they did that so that we could bring across some decent beer. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter