I want to write and tell stories.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

For fellow newbies

I've been meaning to put this link on here for a few days now. If you want to read a very interesting post on writing and the importance of each individual word, try Stu's post here . If you have read several dozen screenwriting books the dialogue part will be second nature, but his comparison with programming is a good read. Also, he is a fellow Aussie, so he must be 100% correct. ;-)
.
.
No news on the business as yet...... we have made an offer, but no response as yet. Current owner is overseas at present and not checking emails that regularly. If he accepts our bid, over the other bidders, then it will be wait to see about finance(answer known soon anyway), and consult accountants, solicitors, etc to see if we go ahead. It is a good business, I know that for a fact, it will just depend on how much debt wife and I are prepared to accept against that risk. Would be a no-brainer without kids, as our level of aversion to debt would be much lower if no kids around, but then that would not be fun. We would get plenty of sleep, travel, and my knee would not pack it in every month on schedule (beware of daughters launching themselves off your knee in the pool without warning, when said knee is straight and locked, several weeks of limping, grimacing, and use of cane like an old man will ensue).
.
.
I mentioned in a previous post about a writer who had previously been a writer on one of my all time favourite shows, MASH. Karen Hall is her name. I saw her linked on Paul Guyot blog, and when I read about her writing on MASH, I emailed and asked(politely with plenty of grovelling I think) her thoughts on why that show was able to have that fantastic, razor edge balance of drama and comedy, and she was even gracious enough to reply to me. She seems incredibly nice (like the other pro's around here) and she has a new TV show of her own making coming out soon. I wish her all the best. Click Here for her site. Make sure you click on ABOUT when there, to read her accomplishments in writing.
.
.
Cheat of the Day: Names
.
For those times when it is late at night and your brain wont fire, you just want "a name, any f****n name will do, I'll change it later, I just don't want to think about this one, tiny little thing right now", then try this site, lots of name generators, and other stuff. I have a few more stored at home I will post as well.
.
.
Have fun.
.
cheers
Dave.
PS I know there are fullstops on the leftside, only way I could get blogger to give me some space. Showing blogger the HAND!!!!!!!!!!! Keep out of my space!

1 Comments:

At 7:24 am, Blogger writergurl said...

While I suppose Ms. Hall is (probably) a nice enough person, her blog is just too heart stoppingly homophobic and militantly Catholic for my tastes. (seems she's a recent convert.. and they all sem to be sooooo obseesed with whatever they've embraced..) I hoped over there from Paul Guyot's site too and the venom just took my breath away... I shan't be visiting again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter