I want to write and tell stories.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Copyright Payment from OS

I recently contacted the US Copyright Office to ask about payment of fees from overseas to register works with them. As I could not find anything about payment from overseas, I contacted them.

My main worry was that often if you send a cheque, International Money Order, International Bank Draft, etc, there are often significant fees at other end, and I had a gut feeling there might be some trouble if you send even an IBD. So here is the answer I got the other day, and thought there might be other people out there who would want this info. They unfortunately did not give me any info on EFT transfers(which was not available on site, as that page was down).

I am going to have to cheque with my bank as to what the best vehicle is as well. Pity they don’t take credit card. They do for some transactions, but obviously for overseas transactions, this is not the case.

There is a lot of information on this site http://www.copyright.gov/



Please send your remittance in the form of a draft, that is, a check, money order, or bank draft, payable to: "Register of Copyrights". Do not send cash. Drafts must be redeemable without service or exchange fee through a U.S. institution, must be payable in U.S. currency, and must be imprinted with American Banking Association routing numbers. International Money Orders and Postal Money Orders that are negotiable only at a post office are not acceptable.

You may also pay the $30 fee in U.S. traveler's checks. Generally, traveler's checks are only available in multiples of $20. You may overpay the application fee (i.e $40), and after you receive the certificates of registration, you can send a letter requesting a refund providing details about the original submission (i.e. date submitted, name on the traveler's check).

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20559
(202) 707-3000


At 5:18 pm, Blogger Chris (UK Scriptwriter) said...

Interesting. I think I'd take the traveler's check option, even it it means an extra $10.

At 11:10 am, Blogger Grubber said...

I agree Chris, I think I would just go Trav cheques as well. Might just register two at once, use three $20 ones. I just thought it would be interesting info for other OS people like myself.


Post a Comment

<< Home

free website hit counter